Why We Regularly Have Family Dance Parties

Friday, April 12, 2019

HEY AGAIN!

Or if not again, welcome to The Attitude Of Adventure Blog!
I'm Morgan Deane and my mission with this blog is to give great, applicable advice and funny stories, so that you get a laughleave with something helpful, and keep coming back!
I'm a Christ follower, I'm married to the LOVE of my life, we're parents to Winston BARKtholomew Deane (the Goldendoodle), and I love pizza! No seriously. I could eat pizza Every. Day!
{Want to know More About Me? Check it out!}

And now, for the reason you came here today!
The Deane Fam regularly has dance parties around here! Everyone is included and no one can sit out. Even the puppy will jump around with us while we dance around the living room and kitchen. (His Goldendoodle bounciness makes it even more fun.)
If you've never had a dance party, you're missing out. Here's why!

IT MAKES US HAPPY

The first reason why we do dance parties is because it makes up happy! I can be in a terrible mood and Andy will say, "Alexa, pump up the jam!" Sorry Not Sorry by Demi Lovato comes on and I just can't help it. I'm drawn in to the beat and sassiness. (If you have kids around, make sure you play the non-explicit version.) Music won't instantly change my mood, but after a few minutes, I find myself singing along and dancing to the music.
Photography by Britt G. Photography
Dancing is a great way to get out energy or do a workout. I love line dance videos on YouTube and playing Kinect Zumba! I'm exhausted and out of breathe after a few songs, but I feel amazing and happy. There's basically no quicker way to get me in a good mood than to turn on my favorite dance party music and spin and jump around the living room with Winston and Andy.

IT GIVES US ENERGY

This sounds like it would take your energy, but you know how people say they feel more energized after a morning run? It's the same thing. You did something good for your body and now you feel great! Instead of being exhausted, I want to tackle a project after a dance party.
Why? To quote Elle Woods from Legally Blonde: "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't kill their husbands. They just don't."
Photography by Britt G. Photography
I would much rather dance than run or do pushups. I get bored on runs and pushups make my elbows pop uncomfortably (my chiropractor says it's normal, but I can't handle it). But get me dancing and I can go for ages! I'm not bored. My mind is stimulated and I feel great!

MAKING A DANCE PARTY PLAYLIST

Creating a dance party playlist can be cause for some drama. It'll take some trial and error. The thing to keep in mind is that your playlist is NEVER FINISHED! You heard a song on the radio that you loved? (does anyone even listen to a radio anymore... I don't know.) Add it! A friend recommended a song that's great for dancing? Try it out! If you don't like the song anymore, throw it out.
Photography by Britt G. Photography
Sometimes I add a song to my playlist and then go to have a dance party and realize, though it's an upbeat, fun song, it's just not a great song for dance parties. Sometimes Andy turns on a song and I'm like WHAT in tarnation is this? No. And he does the same to me. And sometimes songs surprise us.
I'll be in the kitchen, washing dishes and realize that Not Today Satan by KB is a great song for getting that nonsense done. (Why they haven't come out with a robot who will hand wash your pots and pans and fold your laundry, I don't know.)
Don't doubt a song until you try it!

WHO CAN COME?

LITERALLY ANYONE!
Invite your mom. Invite your dog. Tell your neighbors. Bring your friends. Keep it private. You and hubby. Include the kids. Bring your cousins. Scare the cat with your awful dance moves. Bring the party to the llama down the road. This is an all-inclusive kind of party. Whoever is around gets to be a part of it!
This is not an exclusive club. This isn't a house full of talented dancers with perfectly pointed toes and beautiful dance moves. No. This is anyone who wants to get in some extra booty shaking. Loosen up your arms, shake out your legs, spin around, touch your toes, Heyyyy Macarena! We are so NOT coordinated right now. And. That's. O. Kay! In fact, it's perfect.
Photography by Britt G. Photography
The only people not invited are those who bring insults on their tongues. No. Thank you. If anyone insults another's dance moves or singing voice or literally anything about them, they can excuse themselves immediately. We don't need that negativity around here.

THE RULES

There are some rules when we start a dance party. Take some, leave others, add your own, but make sure that everyone is on the same page because nothing takes the fun out of something faster than not being on board and feeling forced and coerced into an activity.
Here are our family dance party rules. Save the photo above for easy reference.

    1.  Start with a clean floor. We can't have you tripping and dying in the middle of the dance party. How anti-climatic.
    2.  Everyone in the house has to join in! This is a fun occasion and no one gets left out.
    3.  The music has to be fun and upbeat; great to dance to. Make a playlist as a family and add songs that everyone likes.
    4.  Dance like no one's watching. This ain't no slow dance, solemn moment. Get out there and have some fun!
    5.  If anyone doesn't want to listen to the current song, they can skip it, but each person only gets 1 skip, so choose wisely.
    6.  No judging others' dance moves. Bad dance moves don't exist in this home. Encouragement only!
    7.  Singing at the top of your lungs is always encouraged.
    8.  No judging others' terrible singing voices. We know we're terrible, but we love singing. Get over it.
    9.  Turn up the volume! This will help cover the terrible singing voices. And you'll all dance more freely.
    10.  The dance party can last as long as everyone needs to be in a great mood again.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I hope you enjoyed today's topic!
If you want to see more by me, check out my full list of blog posts.

Comment below or shoot me an email at AttitudeOfAdventure@gmail.com
Follow me on InstagramPinterest, & Facebook @AttitudeOfAdventure

I'd Love To Hear From You!

~M

Featured Post

What Is An "Attitude Of Adventure"?

Oh hello! Nice of you to drop by. I'm Morgan Deane and I'm married to the love of my life, Andy. We're just a married...

Back to Top