My Favorite Bible & Translation To Read

Friday, January 18, 2019

HEY AGAIN!

Or if not again, welcome to The Attitude Of Adventure Blog!
I'm Morgan Deane and my mission with this blog is to give great, applicable advice and funny stories, so that you get a laughleave with something helpful, and keep coming back!
I'm a Christ follower, I'm married to the LOVE of my life, we're parents to Winston BARKtholomew Deane the Goldendoodle, and I love drinking homemade smoothies every morning!
{Want to know More About Me? Check it out!}

And now, for the reason you came here today!
The Bible is a compilation of 66 "books." This collection of "books" are actually a mix of the following genres: Historical Narrative, The Law, Poetry, Proverbs, Prophesy, Parables, and Letters. It was written by 40 authors over a span of 1,500+ years! This incredible collection we call The Bible was written in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic which is now translated into hundreds and parts of it into thousands of languages. There are 450 different translations just in English. So which one do you choose? These are my favorites!

TRANSLATIONS

When I am reading my Bible, I usually will flip between 2 or 3 different translations. It helps me to understand the passage better and each one has different little side notes.
NEW LIVING TRANSLATION (NLT)
This is my favorite translation. I've found it somewhat easier to understand than NIV. The language leans more toward modern language instead of direct translation. It's hard to understand and relate to the situations that the authors of the Bible wrote about.
John 3:16-18 NLT - For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him. There is no judgement against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God's one and only Son.
NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION (NIV)
Hello! Obviously I had to put NIV. This is one of the most popular translations used, with King James Version (KJV) being #1. It's pretty easy to read and understand, as well as being an excellent representation of what the original texts said.
John 3:16-18 NIV - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
THE MESSAGE (MSG)
Oh yes! The Message. While I do enjoy reading MSG which is written in every-day language, I never read it without also looking at other translations. It's great for new Christians because it's easier to understand. There are Bibles out there that have both MSG and NIV right next to each other like this one!
John 3:16-18 MSG - This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.

You can see from the verses listed below each translation the difference in the language used.

I USE THIS BIBLE

My person physical Bible that I use most is actually an NIV translation called The Jesus Bible. I'm a huge fan of this Bible because it was put together by Passion City Church with lots of side notes and explanations by some great Christian pastors, authors, music artists, and speakers. There is also room in the sides to take notes of anything that catches my interest. I love looking back through and see how marked up it is.
Here are The Jesus Bibles available.

 Grey Linen Hardcover

Pink Imitation Leather


Blue Imitation Leather

BIBLE APP

If you don't have the YouVersion Bible App, you need to go download it right now. Along with being completely free and easy to use, it has devotional plans, tons of translations, highlighting capabilities, audio, friends, and so much more! My favorite part is how easy it is to switch between translations. I can be reading a passage in the NIV and in 2 seconds be reading it again in NLT, then in 2 more seconds be reading it in MSG.
Another great feature to take advantage of is all of the free devotional plans. There's plans for all kinds of genres and stages of life. There's also a great range of authors and plans based on Christian books! Some of my favorites have been Comparison Trap and Breathing Room by Sandra Stanley.

SO NOW GO READ YOUR BIBLE

Go download the YouVersion Bible App and figure out which translation you love, then head back here and let me know! I love hearing from y'all!
Enjoy!

WHAT ABOUT YOU?

I hope you enjoyed today's topic!
If you want to see more by me, check out my full list of blog posts.

Comment below or shoot me an email at AttitudeOfAdventure@gmail.com
Follow me on InstagramPinterest, & Facebook @AttitudeOfAdventure

I'd Love To Hear From You!

~M

Featured Post

What Is An "Attitude Of Adventure"?

Oh hello! Nice of you to drop by. I'm Morgan Deane and I'm married to the love of my life, Andy. We're just a married...

Back to Top